Monday, June 30, 2008

Physical Therapist...for a day

Because my life simply must be full up to every minute, I have decided to spend every Monday of this summer following a Physical Therapist around. This PT is my boss which makes it easy because we already know each other and have a good working relationship. I see her work all the time, no big deal. Following her around all day is another matter entirely.
In order to even apply to Physical Therapy School you must have between 100 and 200 hours of observation/experience in various physical therapy settings. Great logic; how bout ya'll see what you are looking to get into, eh? I respect that. Many of the PT's I have spoken with say that they got into their career partly because they did not want to sit at a desk all day. Prayer's answered. We hardly sat down all day. PT's seem to spend 30-45min with each patient they have. Divide 7-10 hour days by that and that equals a lot of folks. There are no breaks between these people either. Watching my boss walk out of one room after asking her patient how their god-child is doing and into another room to ask how her new patients knee is doing, without stopping to breath is pretty freaking amazing. People skills people skills people skills. PT's may see 10-16 people a day and it is imperative they be able to remember each person's treatment plan and the names of their four dogs. If they are good, they will also know the breeds.
Do not get me wrong, a good grasp on anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, kinesiology, and psychology comes in handy. A PT seems to integrate all of these Ologies at the drop of a knee brace. To start the day, charts are reviewed and coffee is had. We then spent the next 5.5 hours moving from patient to patient. This is made possible by the aids who greet patients and warm them up so that all the PT does is stream into the room once they are prepped. Following that we took an hour lunch. This is a great time to catch up on charts. As a massage therapist, I book myself enough time to do my charts between clients. I may have to let go of this luxury, it seems. The afternoon looked much like the morning, except I cut out early so that I could study for a Genome exam.
This is what my Monday's will look like for the next two months. Updates sure to follow.

1 comment:

Fozail Raja said...

That is great, so guess you are enjoying this...think the most difficult part about the PTs job is how without a you can go one patienc to another and keep a smile on your face regardless of your own problems....
Ardor Health