Friday, June 27, 2008

Physical Therapy Training Requires Spanish

My break from school has officially ended. It was a whole week long, and trust me, that can be a lot when you do school and work year round. My sister flew into town for a visit and managed to use up most of my time. She is the next youngest of my sisters and the one I am the closest to. We grew up to be two incredibly different women. She embraces that whole feminine persona much better than I do and grilled me about whether or not I have lotion, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, and a blow dryer in the house; otherwise, she was not coming! Toothpaste? Seriously? If my sister wonders these things about me I fear what my family twice that far away may think of me. Once assured I did have all of life's necessities in my bathroom she jumped on a plane and we spent the week laughing the way sisters do when they are together and remembering each others childhoods.

For the summer I am taking both Spanish and Genome Sciences. Neither of these classes is directly required to gain entrance to PT (physical therapy) school, however an undergraduate degree is. Most universities like to demand that one year of a foreign language* during their undergraduate programs.

[*Which, in my opinion, is entirely for show. Not a single person gets off taking one year of a foreign language in college and leaves knowing how to use it. Unless you have already studied a language, chances are you will begin and end a monolingual individual. If they want us to leave the higher educations knowing more than one language, they should start teaching us in elementary school. Oy.]


Thus, here I am. I actually like Spanish and do not mind spending my summer polishing it up. Because I did not know what I wanted to do with myself when I left high school, I did not see the point in going all the way through college with no goal. It has been a while since I took Spanish. Once I figured out I wanted to go to Physical Therapy School I knew I was looking at a long road. I still needed to finish my undergraduate degree. Sometimes I kick myself for not just finishing college the first time. Then I realize that if I had I would be very good at stage lighting and know absolutely nothing you need to know to get into PT school. I would still be here--but I would have even less money. See, it all works out.

No comments: