Saturday, May 10, 2008

Scholar-Ship

So, I got a scholarship this past week. 67% as a an excuse to take a Friday night off of work, I attended the awards dinner. Which was great. My friend, Knave, who accompanied me was commenting on how novel it was to be in a room full of people who seemed genuinely optimistic about the future. In truth, if I had just paid that much money to help send other peoples kids to school, I would want some freaking optimism served with my wine, too!
Aside from the evening being an honor parade it was actually uplifting to see that many people turn out to say congratulations to some hard working students. Most of these folks overcame difficult backgrounds in order to become abnormally productive. Seriously, I was an honoree and I could not believe what all these people do. I tell people I just gave up sleeping and a social life to meet my goals; some of these kids must have given up breathing. Oy. It just goes to show that anything is possible if you have the will and a little support.
I worked through high school. I worked through massage school. I am working through college. The good thing about massage school was you had two options for when you wanted to take your classes. If you got kids, study when they study. If you got a job, study when you get off. It was really nice to have that flexibility. And, there was a ton less homework. A ton. Speaking of, I am going to go write a paper about what will happen to you if you hold your breath while 20,000 feet above sea level.
It is going to be a very short paper.

No comments: