Sunday, July 27, 2008

Client Interaction

A client posed an interesting question to me today; she asked if I thought that a person should be quiet during their massage in order to get the full benefit of it....in order to really experience their body. I surprised myself when my response to her was no. Because, technically, yes. No? If you are talking, you are not breathing. If you are not breathing you cannot possibly be focusing your breath into your body. If you are not focusing on your body, you cannot be fully experiencing it.

This is no instruction manual folks. I need opinions here.

But, I said no. Logic=it depends on why you are receiving massage. It depends on if you are chatting to ignore what is going on or in response to it. This particular client is chatty. No problem to me, I do not care either way. I do not encourage talking but I will be attentive and responsive to those who choose to talk during their session. Anyway, she chats. She needs to chat. For her massage brings up thoughts, feelings, and ideas. Emotions are stored in tissue and therapists often stir them during a session and then experience the result of the clients new state. Accessing tissue generally calls for a release of some sort. Often we ask people to breath. Some people curse or laugh or hum instead. Some people talk. I realized that as she asked me that question. I realized I accepted it as a valid form of release no more detrimental to the session than laughing or crying in her case. Whatever I rub out of her hamstrings goes zipping up to her brain and demands contemplation. She happens to think out loud.

No comments: